STRATEGY AND PROTECTION
FOR THIS CRITICAL LANDSCAPE.
2023 Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Plan
The Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Plan for the Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Landscape (KRCL) was completed 2021-2023. The Plan, which incorporates the 2020 Kittatinny Coalition Strategic Plan, frames a Ridge-wide strategy and action plan for protecting this critical Pennsylvania landscape over the next five years.
Resilience Planning & Design (RPD) drafted the plan with partner and public outreach across the Kittatinny Ridge. RPD had the expertise the KRCL was seeking with unique experience working at a landscape scale on multiple stakeholder natural resource planning initiatives.
Conservation Plan Goals
CONSERVATION PLAN GOAL #1: INCREASE COORDINATED AND HOLISTIC LAND CONSERVATION, NATURAL RESOURCE PROTECTION, AND STEWARDSHIP INITIATIVES
- Encourage the identification of conservation opportunities from a holistic lens, integrating the ecological, social, recreation, and economic aspects of land protection, to expand the partner network and capacity for this work.
- Promote a coordinated, landscape-scale approach to direct land acquisition and conservation easement protections in the future.
- Protect, restore, and maintain ecosystems and natural resources on the Ridge and in adjacent low-lying areas projects at multiple scales, from broader landscape scale projects to smaller community-scale initiatives.
- Increase habitat connectivity and enhance climate change resilience through land protection and policy.
CONSERVATION PLAN GOAL #2: PROMOTE THE KRCL’S SENSE OF PLACE AND BUILD COMMUNITY IDENTITY AROUND OUR SHARED NATURAL SYSTEMS
- Raise awareness of the Ridge and the surrounding natural landscape and how nature
contributes to the health and wellbeing of communities and the economy.
- Promote the shared vision for the KRCL and build community identity around our shared resources.
CONSERVATION PLAN GOAL #3: SUSTAIN AND EXPAND OUTDOOR RECREATION RESOURCES AND ACCESS
- Preserve and grow outdoor recreational opportunities, provide additional recreational access,
and enhance recreation connections and corridors.
CONSERVATION PLAN GOAL #4: SUPPORT NATURE-BASED ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Promote nature-based placemaking and economic development to positively impact local
economies in the landscape.
- Educate decision makers about the financial benefits of natural systems in the KRCL.
CONSERVATION PLAN GOAL #5: BUILD A STRONG AND DIVERSE PARTNER NETWORK
- Welcome and invite a diverse network of partners to join the conservation planning process. Build and sustain reciprocal relationships.
- Inspire residents, local officials, organizations, and agencies to work together to drive strategic investment and action around sustainability, conservation, community revitalization, civic engagement, and recreational projects.
- Embrace equity and inclusion as guiding principles in conservation planning work to ensure an equitable distribution of conservation benefits.
For more information, please contact:
Pennsylvania Geological Survey
Kittatinny Ridge Conservation Landscape, DCNR Internal Lead